Monday, May 04, 2009

Sam Pottle and David Axlerod's song "Wonder Child"

I remember being in my grandfather's high-rise apartment in Philadelphia sometime in the mid-to-late 70s. I was sitting on the bed in his bedroom. An off-white Zenith TV with a thick, noisy spring-loaded button metal brick remote sat on a stand in front of a large window overlooking the 30th Street Train Station. On the screen, a fuzzy PBS station was airing Sesame Street, and Helen Reddy was singing a song that has been stuck in my mind's infinite shuffle playlist ever since.

Of course, where else do I find it but YouTube, the ever-present fountain of nostalgia?



Lovely song. But then I discovered the Ritchie Havens version, also on Sesame Street and possibly the original version of it:



Tricia and I love this version even more!

The song was written by the late Joe Raposo, the primary musical force behind the early Sesame Street and The Electric Company years. Probably best known for his "Bein' Green" song sun by Kermit The Frog. Musically, he's got a trademark sound built upon flutes, piccolos, glockenspiels, chimes, harpsichords, player pianos, 70s funk bass and guitar, random sound FX and banjo. He believed very strongly that children should hear music from everywhere else, and that it wasn't over their heads.
UPDATE: My bad. This song was NOT written by Joe Raposo! It was written by Sam Pottle and David Axlerod, who took over for Mr. Raposo after he left Sesame Street.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share
posted by Brian at 7:11 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home